Chia seeds have been around for quite some time, although you are probably hearing more and more about them as they have become very trendy. Chia seeds should be a part of your diet, as they contain omega-3 fats (good fat), and contain quite a bit of fiber (think heart healthy). Chia seeds are an easy addition to your diet. They can be used just like any other seed or nut; they can be sprinkled on salads, yogurt or used in baking. See below for some healthy breakfast recipes containing chia seeds.
1. Honey Lemon Muffins
These fluffy muffins will make for a filling breakfast.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. honey (melted)
- Cupcake liners and muffin pan
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Using a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together.
- In a separate bowl mix the water, ricotta, egg, lemon juice, zest and olive oil together.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon. Then gently fold in the chia seeds.
- Pour the batter evenly in each cupcake liner and bake for roughly 15 minutes. Test the muffins with a toothpick to be sure they are cooked all the way through.
- Allow the muffins to cool for about 5 minutes, then brush the melted honey on the muffins. Allow them to cool a little longer before eating.
- Enjoy your lemon muffins.
2. Chia Spiced Overnight Oats
This is a great breakfast you can prepare overnight and grab in the morning on the go.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- Optional toppings: bananas, blueberries or dried fruit
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl, mix thoroughly, and cook in the microwave for a minute. Then add the almond milk slowly stirring until it is well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator overnight to cool.
- Add the toppings in the morning (optional) and enjoy your oats cold or you can heat it in the microwave for a minute or two for a hot breakfast.
3. Banana, Mango, Chia Seed Smoothie
This is another healthy on the go breakfast you can take with you. This recipe makes 2 large smoothies.
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 large banana
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup almond milk (you can also use regular milk or coconut milk)
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth. If it isn't cold enough for you, you can add ice cubes to make it colder.
These delicious recipes can be enjoyed by anyone. You won't even be able to tell that you are actually eating healthy. To learn more, visit a website like www.sincerelynuts.com.